Tuesday 3 March 2009

The second floor

Today was the first time we actually was able to enter the second floor (by ladder)! This is the resulting picture. One can also see where the stairs will enter the second floor hall.

öv-hall

And this is the nice view out of the rightmost window (at least if one disregards the ugly red/yellow signs at the grocery store – lets hope they are bought by a grocery chain with subtler coloring!).

öv-utsikt

If it the weather had been clearer we would have seen Denmark, and the southernmost part of the island Ven, including the steep hills known as “Backafall” mentioned in the poem “Vid vakten” (1917) by poet Gabriel Jönsson who lived not far from here. The poem was set to music in the 50’s and became a very popular song; “Flicka från Backafall” from a movie based on the story of the poem (a sailor on a long voyage in the Caribbean longs for his girlfriend at home). I think I remember my mom singing it to me when I was little (*snivel*)

So, what was I saying again? Oh, yeah, one will be able to see Ven from here :-)

This Friday afternoon, it was sunny and we took this nice picture from the scaffolding outside, of the sun shining through the windows on the second floor. I think these large southeast-facing windows make all the difference!

ljusinsläpp

1 comment: